Teacher Retirement System of Texas EPM Data Analytics Manager in Austin, Texas
The TRS External Private Markets team is looking for an experienced Data Analytics Manager to performs advanced strategic planning, investment process analysis and development, and team oversight work. The work involves the oversight, development, and ongoing management of data analytics initiatives and programs within the External Private Markets portfolio, including real estate, private equity and energy/natural resources/infrastructure.
Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for initiative and independent judgment. Supervises and may train others. This position is located in our downtown Austin office and reports to the Senior Managing Director of External Private Markets.
Who we are TRS is the largest public retirement system in Texas in both membership and assets, and has been serving the retirement needs of Texas public education employees for more than 75 years. TRS ranks sixth largest in U.S. public pension plans and in the top 25 in the world. Our culture makes TRS the preferred destination for investment opportunities. It's rewarding work that motivates us to excel. TRS' investment teams have the passion, energy, and motivation to outperform, earning awards for both individual and plan performance.
State classification: 1152/Portfolio Manager III/B31/Exempt
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the development and ongoing management of data analytics initiatives and programs, including but not limited to project management, designing, executing and rolling out executive dashboards and analytic tools, and identifying and implementing data controls.
- Identifies and proposes data and analytics initiatives that enhance the Private Markets portfolio management, manager oversight, due diligence, and ongoing monitoring.
- Identifies, evaluates, and implements internal policies and procedures, external services, and tools to support data validation and data cleansing.
- Communicates analysis of investment opportunities, results and recommendations with the relevant portfolio manager(s) and/or senior staff via reports and presentations; including preparing qualitative and quantitative dashboards, reports, memoranda, and spreadsheets.
Process Analysis and Development
- Supervises the development of imbedded analytics tools to perform fundamental and statistical investment analysis for potential investment opportunities, including basic and advanced investment computations (i.e., return multiples, correlations, volatility analysis, attribution analysis, etc.), using internal proprietary data, external data sources, offering memoranda, and one-on-one contact with investment managers.
- Partners with Private Markets staff in developing and implementing overall short and long term Private markets data analytics and business intelligence strategies.
- Identifies areas to increase data efficiency and automation of processes.
- Manages and assists senior managers and investment professionals on data analytics and visualization projects such as systems selection, design, data integrity, and data visualization using different analytics platforms, training, testing, activation, and post deployment activities.
- Works closely with project teams that may include EPM team members, IMD Management Committee, other IMD staff, General Partners, Investment Consultants, State Street Bank, TRS Investment Accounting, and other industry leaders associated with successfully deploying a decision support tool or improvement initiative.
- Oversees the integration of user needs and collaborates with data team, makes assessments, implements development plans, and manages data quality procedures.
- Serves as a bridge to the technical resource to all data and systems in External Private Markets.
- Prepares complete, accurate and well written specifications, designs, test plans, and operations documentation.
- Troubleshoots incidents surrounding supported solutions and complete root cause analysis.
- Identify and share best practices with team members and support development of data management infrastructure.
- Oversees daily operations of External Private Markets Data Analytics Team
- Leads staff as necessary in broader global industry analysis work as requested by portfolio managers or other areas of the Trust.
- Manages relations by fostering productive and effective relationships with External Private Markets and other business users.
- Regularly updates External Private Markets team on pending tasks, pain points, and potential roadblocks.
- Oversees the prioritization of projects by providing reliable project work schedules and time estimates.
- Performs related work as assigned MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS/LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, finance, accounting, operations research, engineering, math, information technology, liberal arts, or a related area.
- Four (4) years of full-time professional institutional investment management experience or other relevant experience in investment banking, or as a private equity or real estate investment manager, or similar background.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
- Six (6) years of full-time professional institutional investment reporting and data analysis experience or other relevant experience in investment banking, or as a private equity or real estate investment manager, or similar background.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Master's degree related to finance, accounting, or analytics/data science may substitute for two (2) of the required four (4) years of experience.
- Experience with investment reporting, analytics, business intelligence or technology.
Veterans / Military Crosswalk:
TRS is committed to maintaining a veteran-friendly workplace and attracting, developing and retaining military service members as employees. To assist in determining whether your military experience may relate to the minimum qualifications for this position, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes from each branch of the armed forces have been assigned to each state classification title where applicable.
Depending upon actual duties, the following fields may pertain to the minimum qualifications of this position. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for this position are highly encouraged to apply.
U.S. Army Occupational Codes – No military equivalent. U.S. Navy Ratings and Designators – No military equivalent. U.S. Coast Guard Ratings – No military equivalent. U.S. Marine Corps Occupational Fields – No military equivalent. U.S. Air Force Specialty Codes – No military equivalent.
Please contact the TRS Human Resources Department or the TRS Veterans Liaison with questions or for additional information.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be found at: http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Investment concepts, terminology, styles, models, strategies, and fundamental investment factors.
- Real estate, private equity, and/or energy industry expertise and familiarity with industry data sources and uses.
- Statistical concepts, methods, and models and their application to investments.
- Quality control processes and procedures required to validate data and ensure system reliability.
- Creating and developing sophisticated and reliable, reputable, and usable data analysis and visualization solutions for investment professionals.
- Conducting data analysis and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex statistical analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports and written/oral recommendations.
- Planning, organizing, and prioritizing work assignments to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced and changing environment, and completing detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Using a computer in a Windows environment with work processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and other business software to prepare correspondence, spreadsheets, charts, and reports.
- Effective written and verbal communication of complex information that is accurate, timely, and based on sound judgment; and making presentation to groups with varied levels of investment knowledge.
- Foster effective working relationships and manage change with a customer experience focus.
- Show attention to detail, strong problem solving skills, and a collaborative approach.
Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions Work is performed in a standard office environment and requires:
- normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies;
- marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements;
- constant use of personal computers, copiers, printers, and telephones;
- the ability to move about the office to access file cabinets and office machinery;
- frequent sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position; and
- the ability to work under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others.
Workforce Expectations Must be able to:
- regularly, reliably, and punctually attend work;
- work extended hours as necessary;
- travel occasionally for work assignments and trainings;
- show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments and work schedules;
- adhere to the agency's internal management policies and procedures; and
- exhibit work behaviors consistent with agency core values.
Salary: $111,792.96 - $189,069.00 Annually
Location: Austin, TX
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: EXTERNAL PRIVATE MARKETS
Job Number: 18-000004
Closing: 10/27/2017 5:00 PM Central
Agency: Teacher Retirement System of Texas
Address: 1000 Red River Street Austin, Texas, 78701.