Teacher Retirement System of Texas Security Officer in Austin, Texas
The Security Officer performs moderately complex security enforcement work. Work involves conducting routine surveillance of facilities, grounds, parking areas, and property; maintaining access control; and providing general security services to employees, members, and visitors. Works under moderate supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the Security Supervisor.
Shift hours: 3:00pm-11:00pm Saturdays, Sunday and holidays
Candidate selected will start on or after September 1, 2017
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors agency facilities, grounds, and parking areas utilizing a computerized security monitoring system of more than 200 security cameras.
- Monitors, operates, and responds to computerized alarm systems.
- Monitors movements and actions of service, trade, custodial, and other personnel after normal working hours utilizing computerized security monitoring systems.
- Performs motorized security cart and foot patrols of agency facilities, grounds, and parking areas.
- Is observant of and notifies appropriate personnel of safety hazards, damaged or faulty equipment, and other unusual occurrences.
- Programs and issues agency access/identification cards for staff and contractors to provide entry into designated areas.
- Monitors access card usage and control devices utilizing computerized security monitoring system and investigates any suspicious activity and/or unsecured areas.
- Prevents unauthorized personnel from entering facilities.
- Maintains accurate key inventory, including detailed record of keys issued and keys returned.
- Escorts employees and visitors to and from parking areas and throughout facilities during non-business hours and/or as necessary.
- Maintains records of parking assignments, including communicating with staff and modifying parking assignments as necessary.
- Monitors parking, issues citations, and communicates with staff and managers regarding parking violations.
- Completes daily reports and other special reports as required.
- Accepts agency related deliveries during non-business hours.
- Provides general security services for employees, members, visitors, and agency facilities, grounds, and property.
- Protects agency facilities, grounds, and property against theft, fire, and vandalism.
- Provides prompt response to emergencies and other security related situations throughout agency facilities, grounds, and parking areas.
- Promptly notifies appropriate emergency services as necessary.
- Provides security for surface parking lots and parking garage as necessary.
- Assists with responsibility for operations of security control room as necessary.
- Corrects minor safety and mechanical hazards when possible.
- Ensures compliance with energy conservation practices during non-business hours.
Provides other security related agency support as necessary.
Performs related work as assigned. MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS/LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Two (2) years of full-time security experience.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
None Preferred Qualifications:
Valid Texas driver's license and acceptable driving record.
- Relevant prior military, law enforcement and/or corrections experience.
- Experience with computerized security and alarm systems.
- Experience with DNA Fusion Access Control and Security Management System software.
- Experience with Salient Surveillance software.
- Certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), first aid, and automated external defibrillator (AED). KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- General security and surveillance practices, computerized security and alarm systems, and customer service principles and practices.
- Using a computer in a Windows environment with word processing and other business related software.
- Effective verbal communication, including telephone communication and active listening.
- Effective written communication, including writing clear, concise, and legible reports.
- Providing quality customer service.
- Exercise sound judgment and initiative.
- React quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
- Remain alert and observant of surroundings at all times.
- Work without immediate supervision.
- Establish and maintain professional working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, contractors, and visitors.
- Work in a professional team environment. Physical Requirements and/or Working Conditions
Work is performed in a standard office environment, and in a non-office environment (indoor/outdoor) and requires:
- normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall, and apply certain practices and policies;
- marginal or corrected visual and auditory requirements;
- constant use of personal computers, copiers, printers, and telephones;
- the ability to move about the office to access file cabinets and office machinery;
- occasional sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position;
- frequent standing, walking, and climbing stairs;
- routine unassisted lifting of up to 20-25 pounds and occasional assisted lifting of up to 45-50 pounds;
- the ability to work under deadlines, as a team member, and in direct contact with others;
- exposure to outdoor weather conditions, including extreme heat, cold, and other inclement weather conditions; and
- use of foot controls to operate a vehicle and/or motorized security cart.
Must be able to:
- regularly, reliably, and punctually attend work;
- work extended hours as necessary;
- travel occasionally for work assignments and trainings;
- show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments and work schedules;
- adhere to the agency's internal management policies and procedures; and
- exhibit work behaviors consistent with agency core values.
Veterans / Military Crosswalk:
TRS is committed to maintaining a veteran-friendly workplace and attracting, developing and retaining military service members as employees. To assist in determining whether your military experience may relate to the minimum qualifications for this position, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes from each branch of the armed forces have been assigned to each state classification title where applicable.
Depending upon actual duties, the following fields may pertain to the minimum qualifications of this position. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for this position are highly encouraged to apply.
Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Code Equivalent
- Enlisted: 31B, 31O
- Officer: 311A, 31A
- Enlisted: FC, MA, SN
- Officer: 649X, 749X ?U.S. Coast Guard
- Enlisted: 205, 741, OS
- Officer: 09, 024, OAP10, OAP14, OAR10 ?U.S. Marine Corps
- Enlisted: 5811, 8151, 8152, 8154, 8156
- Officer: 0370, 5803
U.S. Air Force
- Enlisted: 3P0X1
- ?Officer: 31PX
Please contact the TRS Human Resources Department or the TRS Veterans Liaison with questions or for additional information.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be found at:
Salary: $12.66 Hourly
Location: Austin, TX
Job Type: Part-Time
Job Number: 17-000077
Closing: 7/28/2017 5:00 PM Central
Agency: Teacher Retirement System of Texas
Address: 1000 Red River Street Austin, Texas, 78701.