Union Pacific Manager / Director Risk Management in Irving, Texas
This position is responsible for planning, developing, directing and implementing personal injury management policy and process to the field offices to ensure the highest quality investigation, handling and disposition of claims. Plan, direct and implement training and development of the field staff to achieve optimum skills enhancement in the areas of investigation, handling and disposition of claims.
- Plan, develop, counsel, guide and implement training and development of the field staff to achieve optimum skills enhancement in the areas of investigation, handling and disposition of claims.
- Work directly with Law, Finance, Operating, and other departments to develop processes that will reduce casualty exposure.
- Review, evaluate and authorize settlement proposals up to authorized limits.
- Plan, direct, control, manage and implement strategies that control claims payout through innovative and creative management programs.
- Manage the Medical Quality Assurance processes and conduct monthly staffings to ensure effective medical care.
- Direct, guide and take responsibility for the development of accurate evaluations and forecasts of the Company's current and future casualty liabilities as a means to formulate an annual accrual and budget for claims payout.
- Represent the Company in key railroad initiatives in the claims-related area and develop benchmarks with other railroads and related industries.
- Be available 24/7 for immediate response to catastrophic events occurring in the assigned geographical territory.
- Work directly with Law department and outside counsel to ensure aggressive lawsuit defense.
- Ensure Risk Management department is represented at all trials to assist with defense and provide trial updates.
- Work with medical, vocational rehabilitation, operating and other risk management personnel to effect early return-to-work in all lost-time claims.
- Negotiate or assist with the negotiations of major claims and lawsuits at all values
- Individuals hired to work in this position will be subject to call, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, including holidays and weekends.
- A Bachelor Degree or four years of relevant claims experience
- 10 years experience in Finance. Advanced knowledge of present value computation, personal injury tax laws, structured settlements, employee benefits, union contracts, RRB regulations, actuarial forecasting, and accrual budgeting
- 10 years experience / knowledge in a management / professional position which includes human relation skills in order to deal effectively with interaction between injured employees, their families and Company personnel
- Strong negotiating skills and awareness of legal implications of various types of claims
- 10 years experience in risk management. In-depth knowledge of all laws, regulations and contracts concerning personal injury claims; proficiency in accident investigation; and fully versed in a variety of settlement options, including structured settlements and in medical management and rehabilitation opportunities and programs
- 10 years experience in Railroad operations including a thorough understanding of rules operations and equipment
- Proficient computer skills; Microsoft suite and internal applications
- Advanced negotiation skills; conflict resolution skills
- Advanced financial skills; budgeting, cost control and auditing skills
Committed to protecting Union Pacific and helping it safely build America, the Law Department partners with other departments to enhance safety, find business solutions, reduce risk, and create and leverage opportunities. The team defends and protects UP from influences that adversely affect rail efficiency. The Law Department focuses primarily on environmental law, patent review, rulemaking, public notice, compliance and claims.
Union Pacific is one of America’s premier transportation and logistics companies, linking 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country and serving many of the fastest-growing U.S. cities. Generations of Americans have built successful careers at Union Pacific and in the process, they’ve helped build a nation – delivering lumber for our homes, food for our tables, energy for our power plants and the countless raw materials and finished goods that supply the American way of life.
Location: Irving, TX
Closing Date: 06/21/2017 at 11:59 PM Central Time
Job Open To: Internal and External Candidates