Waste Management Sr. Director - Audit and Controls in HOUSTON, Texas
Title: Sr. Director - Audit and Controls
Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Job Number: 18005825
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
The Sr. Director, Audit and Controls, is located in Houston, Texas and reports directly to the CFO and the Audit Committee with a dotted line structure to the VP and Chief Accounting Officer.
I. Job Summary
The Sr. Director, Audit and Controls, oversees the internal audit and internal controls departments with a mission to provide an independent, quantitative and qualitative assessment of operational and financial risks. Requires an experienced professional that effectively commands respect of peers within finance, leadership of other corporate functions and field operations as well as senior management and the Board of Directors. Demonstrates expertise and insight that can be used to identify areas for improvement across the enterprise. Effectively communicates, both verbally and in writing, conveying findings and recommendations in a respectful and convincing manner. Must lever technology and advanced auditing techniques to continuously drive improved productivity and value from the team. Applies an advanced knowledge of Risk Based Auditing, Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, the COSO framework of internal controls and the IIA Professional Auditing Standards.
Also responsible for additional departmental initiatives focused on continuous improvement through efficiency and innovation. Responds to company, industry, market or other factors that may change the risk landscape and the focus of particular audits or impact the effectiveness of the control environment.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Execution of Internal Audit and Internal Controls strategy decisions, scoping and planning.
- Manage a team of approximately 25 individuals in conducting operational, financial and controls based audits/reviews and communicate findings to management.
- Report to the Audit Committee regularly on the audit plan status and key findings.
- Work with other Company leaders, including the Chief Compliance Officer, to respond to and address instances of actual or suspected fraud, non-compliance with Company policies and procedures or misappropriation of assets.
- Take a lead role in developing, standardizing, monitoring and updating Company policies, procedures and controls.
- Review and refinement of key controls around significant financial processes and accounts.
- Collaborate with senior management, both field and corporate based, in ensuring quality financial reporting and compliance with company standards, policies, and legal environment.
- Review of deficiencies and monitoring of status of management actions required to address internal audit and controls recommendations.
- Drive cost reduction and efficiency of SOX 404 compliance activities, including identifying efficiencies enabling the reduction of external audit fees.
- Develop and train team personnel for advancement in the organization. Have the department be seen by emerging leaders as a place for good career growth and development.
- Progressively manage, recruit and develop professional staff with sufficient knowledge, skills, experience and professional certifications to support Company strategic focus.
- Participate in the company’s Disclosure Committee processes (review Form 10-Qs, 10-Ks and proxy reports).
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The Sr. Director – Audit and Controls will be responsible for directly or indirectly supervising a team of approximately 25 employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
- Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's Degreein Accounting, Finance, Economics or a related field.
- Minimum 12-15 years of experience in accounting or auditing, including supervisory experience
- Experience with technology and advanced auditing techniques (use of “big data”)
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls, and COSO and IIA standards.
- Progressive financial and operational auditing in both public accounting and industry. Proven track record in leading and managing an audit or finance team, with emphasis on best practices in risk assessment, problem solving, and results-driven reporting of audits.
- Experience driving process standardization across a large, decentralized organization.B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations, or Other Requirements
- CPA or equivalent required.
- Preferred: Certification in Auditing (CIA, CISA, or CPA), proficiency in desktop programs such as Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint, and experience with providing professional services to large enterprises.C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Excellent oral and written communication and listening skills
- Possess the ability to build relationships with, and influence senior management regarding sensitive and complex matters - utilizing consultative skills, strong logic and judgment, independent thinking, and a proactive service orientation.
- Ability to communicate with different groups within the organization (i.e. corporate and field both domestic and international) and deliver audit findings in a convincing and constructive manner
- Ability to learn new systems and operations quickly
- Must be self-motivated and willing to take necessary actions to get assigned tasks completed
- Ability to apply strong understanding of risk recognition in financial and operational processes with solid core analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrate a work ethic characterized by high integrity and behavior, which will serve as a role model to others on issues related to business ethics.V. Work Environment
- Normal setting for this position is an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Travel up to 30%
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Accounting/Audit/Finance